Friday 31 May 2013

Useless!

Me, not Tia. I've only had a blog for 11 days and I'm slacking already!

Tia's been really good since I last posted. She did refuse to go in the park yesterday morning - there were lots of dogs in there and I think she was overwhelmed, but she was happy to sit by the gate and watch them while having lots of treats. She has also spotted a few other dogs on pavement walks and not barked as long as we turn round and quickly walk off before she has a chance to.

She's also been totally fine so far on the longline which is great! I've been taking it slowly and sticking to wide spaces so she hasn't been close to another dog while we've been using it but she's been around lots of dogs, including big ones, and she hasn't barked at all. This is another step in the right direction because I'm sure she knows she had a lead on but it's obviously long enough so that she isn't worried. That means I can work on slowly decreasing the length of lead that she needs to feel comfortable at a distance.

That's all I can think of for now, it's Saturday tomorrow though so I'm sure we'll be seeing a few more dogs around!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're doing well :) Seems counter productive to avoid other dogs in a way but it really is the best thing in the beginning. And far better for you to let her stay at a distance where she's comfortable than force her into the park like so many would. How did the weekend go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou :) It does seem odd avoiding the thing I'm meant to be getting her used to, I wonder if sometimes my avoiding them is confirming her thinking that they're scary? Not sure! I've just written a new post about the weekend, she was like a different dog but I've had the normal noisy Tia back yesterday and today.

      Delete